Thursday, December 12, 2013

DIY FAUX FUR CHRISTMAS PROJECTS ~ {Fur tree, Fur topped stocking, Fur wreath, & Fur pillow}


In my last post, I said that I would show you how I created my faux fur Christmas projects.
It all started when I made my Faux Fur Tree Skirt, and had left over fabric.  I love the fabric, and really didn't want to waste any of it.  It comes with a price tag of $20 a yard, but I got my yard and a quarter @ 65% off on a Veteran's day sale.  I was able to make quite a few projects with the remnants,
as you can see below.



#1 ~ Faux Fur Tree

 The first thing I wanted to make was a fur tree.  Over the past years, I've been displaying a little tree vignette for my Christmas decorations.  Last year, I added my bay leaf tree, mercury glass tree and wire tree.  I'm decorating the living room in a winter wonderland theme this year, and what better than a Fur Tree to add to my collection.  It looks like a tree covered with snow.

To create this little tree, a Styrofoam tree would have been the best for the base, but I didn't have one on hand and live 35 minutes from the nearest craft store.  I got creative and made my own using masking tape and a cereal box.  Using what I had in the house = FREE!


I then took a piece of my left over fabric and began to wrap it around the cardboard tree cone.  (If you wanted to make one of these trees without buying the fabric by the yard, you could buy a sheet of craft fur fabric by the sheet @ a craft store.)


 Cut off any excess fur fabric and adhere the fur to the cardboard cone, using  hot glue . This little tree was so easy to make. I think it turned out pretty cute!


Project  # 2 ~ a fur pillow

I didn't have enough fabric left for a large square pillow, so I made a smaller one that fits in my basket of throws.  I made this by creating one of my pocket pillows.  You can see my instructions on pocket pillows here.  This little pillow looks so warm and cozy tucked in the basket of blankets.




Project  # 3 ~  fur topped stockings


I've been admiring burlap stockings for some time now; and decided to make some for myself.  A remnant of fur and some left over burlap from our son and daughter-in- law's rehearsal dinner was all I needed to make these cute little Christmas stockings.



Here's what I did ~ I took out an old stocking from previous Christmases, burlap and fur fabric.  Laying my burlap out flat, I simply used my stocking as a pattern and traced around it.  I then sewed the two pieces of fabric together (right sides together).  After sewing it, I turned the stocking right side out.  Now it was time to add the fur.  I cut a band of fur  4 1/2 inches high by 12 1/2 inches wide.  I sewed the 4 1/2 inch side right side together ~ forming a cuff.  I then took this cuff and put it on the inside of the newly sewn stocking, right side of fur to wrong side of burlap . I then sewed a half inch seam around the entire top of the stocking.  Once this was completed, I simply flipped the cuff to the outside of the stocking ~ giving the stocking a nice finished edge.  Now all it needed was a loop for hanging.  I simply sewed a piece of jute string on the corner of the stocking to create a hanger for the stocking.   I didn't bother to line the stocking since I 'm using them for display and not stuffing.

Project # 4 ~ No sew Christmas tree skirt


 This is the project I started with.  You can see how I made the Christmas tree skirt here


Project # 5 ~ Fur wreath


This wreath was made using some of the smaller pieces of fur fabric ( 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide).  The only thing I had to buy for this project was a Styrofoam wreath.   I used a 40 % off coupon at Hobby Lobby making the total cost only $2.34.  Here's what I did ~ after cutting the fabric into strips, I began at the top of the wreath fastening the fabric to the wreath with a hot glue gun, and then wrapped the fabric around the wreath until it was all covered.


When I was finished wrapping the fabric around the Styrofoam, I simply hot glued it into place.  The finishing touches were made with items I already had in the house: ribbon and a Christmas spike.  I made a bow using the ribbon and attached it along with the Christmas spike using a small piece of wire.  This was once again a very easy project that made a big impact on our front door decor for Christmas.

So there you have it....five projects from one piece of faux fur fabric!

                                                   Joy

I'm linking this post to ~

also Coastal Charm is inviting us to a Christmas Home Tour Linky Party December 16th, so come join the fun.

5 comments:

  1. How fun and creative is this and so luxurious too. Love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all so lovely! Fur is cozy and chic looking. I think I like the wreath best of all. Thanks so much for stopping by chapter37 and for your kind comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how pretty! I love how it looks with the burlap stocking...the contrast in texture between the two is really pretty and as a tree skirt the fur is absolutely gorgeous and elegant:) Love how creatively used the fabric! Happy Holidays! Hugs, Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  4. All fabulous!!!! Goes perfect for your theme!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails