Wednesday, October 2, 2013

MY HIGH LOW PROJECT

I've been looking for some time now for a small side table or nightstand. My husband works on his laptop quite often in the evening while sitting in our family room.  He has to frequently run to his office for supplies: pens, stapler, calculator etc.  A small chest or night stand to sit next to his chair would be the perfect solution to store a few supplies.   I finally found what I was looking for on Craigslist for ten dollars.

It was in pretty bad shape, but I knew I would be able to fix it with a little TLC and paint.




The top looked bad too!




When I saw it, I thought immediately of the cute little Juliette nightstand  I saw at Pottery Barn Kids.

The only thing is that the Pottery Barn nightstand comes with a price tag of $199 plus.  It would be well over $200 dollars with taxes and shipping.

I love the vintage cottage look of the piece and the cute little glass drawer pull on their night stand.

That piece gave me just the inspiration I needed and got right to work.  The first thing I did was give it a good cleaning, followed by sanding it all over.  I moved on to filling the screw holes with putty, followed by a coat of primer and two coats of white paint.

I've been reading about Annie Sloan's chalk paint and wax and would love to try it, but didn't have the money to buy such expensive paint and wax.  Instead I used left over white paint from another project and bought Minwax made for furniture.  I allowed the paint to dry for twenty four hours and then applied the wax.  I love how it made the surface very smooth and gave it a protective coating.

Then it was time for the jewelry!   My husband lent his helping hands and drilled new wholes for the new glass knobs.  The knobs look just like the ones on the Pottery Barn piece.  I found them at Hobby Lobby on sale for half price.

I'm very happy with how the piece turned out.



I love the new knobs, they're such an improvement over the old corroded medal pulls.








My finished piece cost me seventeen dollars, compared to the Pottery Barn cabinet of over two hundred dollars.


Making my high/low project a savings of $183 plus!!!

7 comments:

  1. Love how it turned out and I also love those glass knobs too! You did a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it turned out! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what a transformation a little white paint and pretty knobs can make! (and a little elbow grease) Nice job, perfect. Not to mention your husband will remember how thoughtful you were to think of him : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails