Monday, April 22, 2013

LIVING ROOM REVEAL

I know you've waited a long time to see what I've been up to in our new parsonage.  In my last post, I gave you a little peak into the living room when I showed you my diy bookcase makeover.  Today you get to see the whole room.  It's the only room in the whole house that I can say is finally finished. The room had a long list of to do projects, but thanks to the helping hands of church friends the room is finished.  While we were still in Washington I received a call from a member of the church.  She told me they would paint my husband's office and living room for us, and asked what colors we'd like the rooms to be.  She also told me they were installing all new lights in the parsonage (including pot lights in the living room), and updating the electrical outlets.  I remembered from living in the house 16 years ago, that the living room could be very dark because there were no lights in the ceiling.
 
After a lot of labor pealing off a wall paper boarder that had been painted over, the new paint color is on the walls and it looks wonderful!  It is a soft gray, (Portand by Valspar); and the ceiling is a bright white ceiling paint.  I love how it brightens up the room!



We took down the old curtains and put up new blinds. 
The color of the blinds is Storm Whisper ordered them from blinds.com.  They are the perfect soft gray blending well with the walls.  I put up my diy curtain rods that I had in our living room in Washington, but decided not to put up the dark brown curtains.


They would make the room look too dark, and I wanted the room to be light, bright, and cheery.  I decided to put up the curtains from our previous family room instead.  They're a blue green, but this photo makes them look more blue.

When moving to a new home, there are always costs for new items.  Using what you have helps to keep these costs down.  I love reincorporating things and seeing how different they can look in a new space.


 The new pot lights really help to brighten up the room.


The view of the living room as you come in the front door.


I placed a new mirror (Christmas gift) on the wall next to the coat closet.  I find myself using it often before I leave the house.

 
I struggled where to put my husband's black recliner chair.  It had been in our family room in Washington.  My sisters helped me; and we decided to put it angled  across from my grandmothers black cedar chest.  This helped to balance the black pieces of furniture in the room.

To add a touch of black on the other side of the room, I hung the light house photos we took while vacationing in Oregon.  The longer lighthouse print was a gift from a dear friend who died from cancer a few years ago.  I love the verse on it - The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?   Psalm 27:1 


We received the large photo above the sofa as a going away gift from friends in Washington.  It is such a lovely reminder of living on the coast in the Pacific North West. 


The accents in the room include beach decor.  On the coffee table I was able to use some of my garage sale finds along with shells from our beach vacations.






On the wall next to my DIY bookcase makeover, I hung two new frames with our daughter's and son-in- law's wedding photos.  Our son and daughter-in-law's photo will be added after their wedding in June.

I did a high/low project on the top of my desk, setting up a photo arrangement.  I used my new 99 cent thrift store frames to frame our cute little granddaughter's photos.


I found  very similar frames at Pottery Barn.  The Pottery Barn 4 X 6 cost $34 and the 5 X7 cost $44. That would have been $154, while mine came to a grand total of $4.



Source: potterybarn.com via Joy on Pinterest




To add a bit of nature and texture to the room.  I placed a basket with blankets under the window,


a faux plant on the side table and grass on the cedar chest,




and drift wood with a few shells on the curio cabinet.


It feels great to finally have a room complete.



What do you think of the makeover?

Joy 

I'm linking this post to -
Best DIY Projects of April at Beneath My Heart



5 comments:

  1. I think it looks amazing! The color is wonderful .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It looks so calm and peaceful with all the blue and gray. Thanks for sharing your pics and design process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a welcoming space! I love the coastal accents you've incorporated, but then again I may be a little prejudiced being that I live in Washington and am accustomed to seeing the puget sound on a daily basis. :) Love the light house pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I missed this post, but I did! I just discovered it tonight. Anyway, it looks awesome, Joy! So cozy, inviting, and restful. What a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ocean scene over the the couch! I have been searching for THAT picture for years. My Mother had it and it looks like "home" to me! Beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails