Monday, February 11, 2013

DIY STENCIL WALL

 Today I welcome Brie from Breezy Pink Daisies as my guest.  I saw her stenciled wall and fell in love with it and asked her to share it.  Thanks Brie for your help while I'm away!

           *********************************************************

Hi there Thrifty Parsonage readers! I'm Brie from Breezy Pink Daisies and I'm so happy to be here while Joy is busy moving. {Good luck Joy!} So I found Joy on Pinterest and knew we'd be great bloggy friends right away. We have so much in common (Love of garage sales, thrift stores, God, and decorating!) Funny fact, we both made similar camera bags inserts (here's mine) before we even "met".

Anyway, onto this post I'll be sharing with you guys. So I can be very indecisive. I got a stencil in September and just finally used it to stencil one of our walls over Christmas break. O my, I am IN LOVE with how it turned out! Why did it take me to long to do it?! My excuse was that it was so hard to decide which wall in my house to stencil because I don't have many nice small rectangle walls and my family room has wood paneling so that entire room wasn't an option. I thought about doing our bedroom - but not many people see that room. So I ended up doing a random wall to the right when you walk into our house.
Cutting Edge Stencil - Harlequin Trellis Allover Stencil
The stencil I used was from Cutting Edge Stencils and I won it from one of my favorite DIY bloggers - Sam at The Junk House. The stencil I choose was the Harlequin Trellis Allover Stencil. The background wall color is Comforting by Behr and the stencil color is Metallic Silver by Martha Stewart.

Silver metallic paint
Metallic paint is so much fun! So glad I choose that after MUCH debating over what color I would use. Surprisingly, it didn't even use half of the paint to do the entire wall! So, I have a lot to use on other projects...hmm. However, it is really difficult to take pictures of because it reflects light, but that's what I love so much about it in real life!

It took about 4-5 hours to complete. And that was with my standing back and admiring my work after each stencil and also "erasing" a few sections when I decided they looked funny or didn't match up perfectly. (The paint was actually pretty easy to wipe off even after being on the wall for 10-15 minutes!)
Stenciling a wall 
Cutting Edge Stencil in progress
You can see in the progress pictures that the stencil does not go directly to the corners - don't worry I didn't forget about those! Well, thankfully Cutting Edge Stencils gives you three stencils - the large one, and two smaller ones to help fill in those smaller areas.

Painting the corners was the most difficult part of this project for me. Cutting Stencils recommends to bend the stencil so you can reach the corners, but this was really hard for me - probably because I didn't have any help.
Cutting Edge Allover StencilCutting Edge Allover Stencil - painting corners
After a little self convincing talk, I decided to cut the small stencil so that it would line up nicely against the wall. See the difference that made in the pictures above. It saved me a lot of time and frustration and probably some tears too. Just being honest here!

Isn't my wall beautiful?! I could just stare at it forever :)

In these next two pictures you will meet Raphie and Francis. Can you guess who is who? :)
Cutting Edge Stenciled Wall
Harlequin Trellis Allover Stencil w/ metallic paint

Thanks so much for having me over here!

Feel free to stop by Breezy Pink Daisies. I love meeting new people, so don't be shy! And you can see all the crazy and fun things I've been up to lately...like dressing up as a fire dancer at a murder mystery party and coloring light bulb with sharpies :)

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails