Wednesday, October 17, 2012

OFFICE CLOSET PAINTING {PART 2}

Continuation of the office/closet painting makeover.

Originally I'd thought that I would paint all the walls blue in the closet, but after applying the white primer, I realized that I really liked how bright the white made the room look.  I decided to paint the back wall white and the two side walls the blue color - Lighthouse Shadows by Valspar.

I checked into putting pretty wall paper (allen + roth Sea Breeze Floral Trail wallpaper) on the back wall, but it was to expensive for my budget with a price tag of $59.96 a roll.  We're already spending more in this room than we first had planned by adding new baseboard and trim.  I opted to stencil the wall instead.  In the photos below you can see my test spots.

 The first one I tried was from Jones Design Company  -  a hand painted wallpaper.


The second  is a stencil I found on line at Hobby Lobby.  It was $16.99 but using an online coupon and free shipping made it $10.20.  I ended up choosing the Hobby Lobby stencil even though I liked the painted wall paper.  The thought of painting all the lines by hand seemed very labor and time intense.  Note the white paint over the blue, which was my first thought for the painting project.

In the photos below, you can see the process of painting the stenciled wall using the blue paint over the white.  I followed the instructions and stated at the top of the wall in the center.    To make sure the stencil stayed straight on the wall I used a level and worked across the wall horizontally. I continued this process working  my way down the wall.



Here's how it looks once the side walls were painted and stenciling was completed.


Oh, so much better !


I'm loving how the closet is turning out.  Stay with me; and I'll continue to show you the process for the rest of the closet and room.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Joy, I LOVE it!! The stenciling is just beautiful, and I love how bright and cheery it is. Well done. You're just about at the "fun" stage now where you can put everything back together again.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... this is a wonderful idea! I've been wanting to do something to our little powder room and thought of a stencil, but the whole idea seemed so complicated. I love the simplicity of your idea, but it still looks so classic and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Stencils can look so over done, but yours turned out so classic and beautiful!
    I'm inspired! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! What a beautiful job. I love the stencil on the back wall!

    The biggest mistake I made when we moved into our home was to tell the painter to paint the closets all to match the room colors. Now these rooms were red, mustard yellow, teal blue, etc. Very bright, bold colors. I wish now I would have gone with a light color that matched any color we painted the rooms over the years. You are very wise!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails