Friday, September 21, 2012

DIY BURLAP TABLE RUNNER

I enjoy shopping and seeing all the lovely fall displays this time of year.  While on one of these shopping trips this past week, I saw some lovely table displays.  They were so festive with all the fall decor .  In one particular shop they had a burlap table runner down the center of the table, along with fall colored napkins and center pieces.  When I went to check the price on the runner, I was in shock!  It had a price tag of $59!  That got me to thinking of a remnant piece of burlap in my fabric box at home.  It was at that moment I decided I'd make my own.

Here's what I did -

1.  Found my burlap fabric remnant, that I'd picked up on clearance for .59 cents.
2.  Cut the fabric to the size I wanted.  To ensure it would be straight on the grain, I pulled a string out and then used that as my cutting guide.
3.  I then sewed 3/4 inch from the edge of the entire piece of the fabric.  This is to keep the fabric from fraying too far.


4.  After sewing completely around the edge of the fabric, begin by pulling the outer thread off and keep working inward until you get to the sewed line.  You may need to use a needle to pull the thread away from the burlap.


5. After pulling all the threads loose around the entire burlap, it was ready to iron flat.  That was it, my burlap table runner was  finished!  This is an easy project even if you're a beginner to sewing.


This burlap runner took less than 20 minutes to make.


 I love how the burlap adds texture to the table arrangement.
It was definitely worth my time and a great money saving project!

After I finished sewing my runner, I saw a comparable table runner at Pottery Barn . I think mine is a little shorter and not quite as wide, but quite comparable.  What do you think?


I'm linking this post to -
DIY Club October Monthly Project

The Lettered Cottage

1 comment:

  1. I love it! It looks just as good as the Pottery Barn one, and I'm sure it was WAY cheaper! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails